L3 / D4
- A guide line for determining pump shaft stiffness where the
length of the shaft is compared to its diameter. This number
should be below 60 in imperial units and 2.0 in metric units.
- A non contacting seal utilizing a tortured path for the escape
of the fluid. Utilizes a series of pressure drops to reduce the
- A device used to supply lubricant to packing. Usually located
in the middle of the packing ring set.
Linear pressure drop
- A straight line pressure drop across the lapped seal faces.
- Position the rotor or shaft radially. Normally of the sleeve
- When the drilling or boring is done on a jig that insures
every component is in a straight line.
- A condition that can cause excessive heat inside the pump
volute. A temperature rise of 10°C (18°F) across the
operating pump is considered excessive. Usually caused by
throttling a pump discharge valve.
- Any fluid that will maintain a film thickness of one micron or
more at its operating temperature and load.
For information about my CD,
with over 600 Seal & Pump Subjects
Link to Mc Nally home page