CAVATATION AND HIGH SUCTION ENERGY LEVEL PUMPS C021-1
High suction energy level pumps include:
- The outside diameter of the impeller eye is rotating faster than 120 feet/second or 37 meters/sec
- The higher the specific gravity of the fluid being pumped, the higher the energy
- Thermodynamic properties of the liquid being pumped. Cold water is one of the highest energy liquids, followed by high temperature water and hydrocarbons
- The suction specific speed number of the pump is 12,000 (7500 metric) or greater.
- Operating off the BEP. When throttled, the pump might operate in its suction recirculation mode, heating the incoming liquid.
- The geometry of the pump inlet piping. Upside-down reducers, 90В° elbows, length of the suction piping, along with strainers, valves and fittings in the suction piping can cause problems.
- Side suction designs are considered higher energy than end suction designs.
- Impellers with two or three vanes have more energy than those with four of more.