Cartridge Seal Advantages
CARTRIDGE SEAL ADVANTAGES C017
Nothing is good or bad by itself. Things are only good, or bad in comparison to something else.
Let’s compare a typical cartridge seal to the type where you have to install the individual components.
Cartridge seals have these advantages:
- No installation print is necessary because there are no installation measurements to be made. Clips of some type set the correct spring loading.
- There are no special skills or experience needed to make a good seal installation.
- Cartridge seals are easy to handle. The lapped seal faces are not touched during assembly. This means that no foreign substance will accidentally be put on the lapped faces.
- Most designs center the narrower wearable face in the wider hard face.
- Cartridge seals will not frett or damage shafts.
- Cartridge seals can compensate for thermal expansion of the pump shaft.
- Cartridge seals are necessary if you’re going to adjust the open impeller in a back pull out pump.
- With few exceptions, cartridge seals are hydraulically balanced.
- On February 15, 2018