CYCLONE SEPARATOR C072
- Unfortunately it does not work very well in these slurry applications. To be really effective, these units should be used in a bank of several separators, connected in series.
- The normal installation is to have higher pressure discharge fluid connected to the side of the unit with the bottom connected to the suction side of the pump. The clean outlet, on top, is then connected to the stuffing box.
- One of the limitations in using this unit in a centrifugal pump application is that often there is very little pressure differential between the stuffing box and the pump suction. In some instances there is no differential at all.
- A double suction pump is a good example of no differential. A Flowserve (Duriron) pump is another example of where the stuffing box pressure and the pump suction pressure are almost the same.
- If the solids you’re trying to remove float on the liquid (they have a low specific gravity) the separator will remove the clean liquid and put the solids into the stuffing box.
- On February 15, 2018