HEAT TRANSFER OIL H012
These oils are manufactured from a variety of chemicals to replace water that is limited by its freezing and boiling point, and air that is a poor heat transfer medium.
Heat transfer oils have many advantages over the steam that was formally used in heat transfer applications.
- The product does not flash.
- No boiler blow-down.
- No deaeration heat loss.
- No high-pressure. This means it is not only safer but also tends to leak less.
- No licensed boiler operator needed.
- The temperature can be kept uniform over a large processing area.
- You can heat and cool with the same system.
- These oils are excellent in systems that are water/ steam sensitive.
- The product is kept in a closed system. This means that all leakage can be stopped.
- There is less corrosion in the system.
Among the popular heat transfer oils you will find:
- Dowtherm from Dow chemical.
- Therminol from Monsanto.
- Syntrel from Exxon.
- Arcolor from Monsanto
Brines are useful for the transfer of cold temperatures but are corrosive to many metals.
See “hot oil sealing” to learn how to seal these oils.