PUMPING SYSTEMS, RECOGNIZING PROBLEMS P058
How do tell if there is a problem with your pumping system? Here are a few warning signs:
- YouвЂ™re running with highly throttled flow control valves.
- Cavitation noise at, or near the pump.
- Water hammer noises in the piping
- Frequent off and on cycling of pumps in a continuous process
- A multiple parallel pump system in which the same number of pumps are always in operation
- Batch processes with one or more pumps running continuously.
- Regulating flow with by-pass lines.
- A parallel pumping system where all the pumps run all the time.
- No instrumentation to measure flow, level, temperature, pressure or power.
- Excessive vibration.
- Corrosion problems due to leakage.
- Changing the process without modifying the system.
- Presence of cavitation noise either at the pump or elsewhere in the system
- Filling liquid storage tanks from the bottom with centrifugal pumps (The head keeps changing).