- Packing can slow down, but not stop leakage coming out of the pump stuffing box.
- If the pump must be leak free, either convert to a magnetic drive pump, buy a canned pump or install a good mechanical seal in the pump you have now.
- Ideally the stuffing box would be long enough to accommodate multiple rings of packing, but this would position the impeller too far from the bearings, causing un-necessary shaft deflection.
- You should never use any less than five rings of packing in any pump application.
- With the introduction of split mechanical seals, packing has become obsolete in almost all centrifugal pump applications.
Please look at: packing conversion to a mechanical seal.
- On February 16, 2018