Stopping Water Hammer Problems
Stopping Water Hammer Problems W 015
- Eliminate or control the problem. It could be caused by:
- A vibrating pressure relief valve.
- An emergency shutdown valve that seals too rapidly.
- Some manual valves such as butterfly valves.
- Install surge tanks.
- Allows liquid to flow in or out of the piping when water hammer occurs.
- Limited to water systems.
- Reduce the pumping velocity.
- Use a larger diameter pipe or reduce the flow rate.
- Use stronger pipe.
- A expensive fix.
- Its a potential solution if the pipe specification is only slightly exceeded.
- Install pump flywheels.
- Used if a pump is slowing too quickly after an electrical trip.
- Slow down the valves. .
- Valves that do not close too rapidly could be used.(gate valves)
- Use surge alleviators.
- Similar to pulsation dampers only much larger. They are often fitted to positive displacement pumps.
- Install pressure relief valves in the system.
- Not suitable for use with toxic materials unless a catch system is provided.
- Use air inlet valves.
- Only if ingress of air or other possible external materials is not permissible.
- On February 17, 2018